Thank you for your help in contacting potential members. A conversation with a friendly face can go a long way toward regaining their involvement in the Fedex ALPA pilot group. Please refer to the following guidelines when making contact. This is in no way an attempt to script the conversation, on the contrary, your position as a friend or acquaintance can help keep the exchange from being too formal or remote. The guidelines exist only to promote uniformity and professionalism across conversations with all potential members and provide you with some talking points if you should choose to use them.
Points to remember when contacting a potential member:
- You represent Fedex ALPA. Remain professional and positive.
- Be upfront regarding why you are contacting them: you have been asked as a friend/acquaintance to find out the reason for their resignation and to answer questions or address concerns that they may have.
- Your objective is twofold:
- Determine the reason(s) the individual has not become a member, the more specific the better.
- Address the reason(s) in number 1. If you do not know the answer to a question, say so and tell them you will find the answer or put them in touch with someone who can, if they desire.
- Be prepared to do more listening than talking, if need be.
- Stick to the facts. Some concrete results of working together as a group:
- B-Fund, scheduled pay raises, sick leave buyback, enhanced retirement
- Defined work rules backed up by the force of law
- Industry-wide benefits: safety, increased pay standard, broad resource base
- Don't feel you need to get the person to rejoin during your conversation. If they indicate a desire to do so, great, you can direct them to contact the Fedex Airline Analyst at the ALPA national office for the proper procedures: Terrance Gibbs 888-FLY-ALPA ext 4192 email: email@example.com. Give them my contact information as well and let them know they can get in touch with me regarding any questions or concerns they may have.
- It may be useful to keep notes to use as reference for future calls or to forward information to someone else who will be contacting the individual.
- After your conversation please contact me: 480-459-7369, firstname.lastname@example.org. This keeps me up to date on the status of the individual plus I can help you find answers to questions that may have arisen.
Again, thank you for your time and assistance.
Membership Committee Chair